Welcome!

Hi, Welcome to my blog, receipes for thought. Basically this blog is about recipes that I use daily. I am always trying new recipes so that we don't have to eat the same boring thing all the time. Please feel free to look around, make comments, and of course, add your own interesting recipes. Enjoy!!!

Friday, April 2, 2010

Tater Tot Casserole

Ingredients:
1 Pound Lean Hamburger Meat
1 Can cream of mushroom soup
1 can corn
1 can green beans
velvetta cheese
tator tots

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°
Cook hamburger meat in skillet until brown; drain
Take small square baking dish and place drained hamburger in first, then pour drained corn and drained green beans in. Take cream of mushroom and spread across whole dish, then take a cheese sliceer and slice out squares of velvetta and cover the whole dish. Top with tater tots. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Traditionally, this dish is done with the meat raw, but it takes about an hour and a half for the meat to get all the way done, even with the smaller dish, so I have switched to cooking the meat first, draining and then baking. This also reduces the amount of grease in the pan because you can drain off what you have already cooked.

Alternatives:
I have used cream of mushroom with roasted garlic, at first I thought it was weird and gross, but it was actually really good.
Also, if you do not have velvetta on hand, you can substitute cheeses. I have used plain old american cheese, that you would put on a sandwich and shredded cheddar cheese. The velvetta cooks better, but the other cheeses still taste good!!!

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment